Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom

Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom - Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata Having already seen the anime, there is nothing new in the manga for me, but I don't mind in the slightest.

I love the battle of wits between Kira (means killer) and L throughout the series. Not so apparent in this first volume, but it is there in part. Each trying to one up the other, L's broadcast and Kira's victim's apparent suicide notes are just the beginning.

The Shinigami, Ryuuku, is one of my favourite characters. I love the idea that gods get bored with life too, and need to find entertainment to satisfy that boredom.

There are moral questions raised, with the killing of criminal types, and the idea behind a safe and crime free utopia. And as in real life, there are arguments for both sides, Kira has his followers and haters.

As an artist I appreciate the manga style art, honestly I find the style quite appealing. I know there are many who don't like the style and that's ok too. It is, after all, down to personal preference.

For my full review visit The Caffeinated Bibliophile