A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess I fail to see why there is so much love for this book...

It's a coming of age story, it has 'fancy' slang and controversial topics. Great! But I didn't feel as though there was much meaning behind it. Alex didn't learn his lesson, he simply 'grew up'... WHAT?

I don't feel there was any sort of guilt, regret or remorse on Alex's part for the crimes he committed. He blamed everyone else around him for his behaviour and his capture, but didn't stop to think about why he wanted to do those things, or why his 'droogs' would turn on him in such a way. Narcissist? in my experience most likely.

The morals of the doctors doing the conditioning weren't much better. At no point before the 'treatment' was Alex told what to expect (though this may be because Alex didn't read the paperwork?), Which also had me wondering if they would have actually needed his parents permission to perform such treatment on a minor.

And of course being used for political means as well, from both sides of the argument. I'll stop before I go on a big political rant.

I felt the slang was over the top, and in parts childish (yes, I know Alex was just a child himself so for the most part I'll let that slide), to the point that I really struggled through the first few pages, until I got the hang of it.

I'm glad I read it, because it's always on the 'everyone should read' lists, but, as I said, I still fail to see why.

For my full review visit The Caffeinated Bibliophile