Alchemy: a story of perfect murder

Alchemy: a story of perfect murder - Chris   James I received a copy of this novel through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Clever. The story, set in Victorian London, centers around the life of Jacob Silver, the son of a Jewish Apothecary owner and his wife, brilliant scientist and artist, who idolises Da Vinci.

The story flicks between Sliver's life from ages 15 - 24, and a court room, where young, naive Silver has been accused of the brutal murders of 5 women, all of whom he loved dearly.

This story is well written and very cleverly planned. It leaves you wondering in your own mind whether Silver is guilty of the crimes he's charged with, or whether his story is in fact as true as he believes.

As an artist, I can relate to Silver's desires to paint masterpieces, and his breech of security when he felt the overwhelming urge to touch the Mona Lisa, it's something I would love to do myself. His genius mind, much like Da Vinci, made him as much a brilliant scientist as he was a brilliant artist, finding both his paintings and scientific discoveries in great demand.

I just couldn't put the book down, would have finished it far sooner had it not been for a household of sick kids.

Full review here